college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

McPherson College Announces Fall 2021 Horizon Fund Grant Recipients

Since 2021, McPherson College has been encouraging the entrepreneurial ideas of its students by awarding mini-grants that help students develop innovative solutions to common problems. With more than 300 grants awarded, the college recently announced the latest recipients of the Horizon Fund Grants.

This fall, the Horizon Fund is providing grants to 10 students with ideas ranging from development of a computer application to creation of a YouTube channel. The individual grants range from $100 to $500 and students have the option to reapply for continued funding of existing Horizon Fund Grant projects.

Abbey Archer-Rierson, chief of staff and head of the entrepreneurship program at McPherson College, said, “The Horizon Fund Grant is just one of many ways McPherson College demonstrates its commitment to entrepreneurship and supports entrepreneurial students on our campus. The grants have supported a variety of wildly creative ideas and this most recent round of funding is no exception.”

Recipients of the fall 2021 Horizon Fund Grants are:

• Matt Mahan, automotive restoration management, Topeka, Kansas – photography – “I would like to expand my portfolio and plan on integrating photography into my career.”
  • Alex Vanpatten, business finance, Almena, Kansas – apparel – “A lot of people have a hard time sharing their faith, so I created Scripture Boulevard to give believers a way to publicly share their faith through Christian apparel and accessories.”
  • Robert Aurner, automotive restoration, Topeka, Kansas – concrete cleaning/resealing“I would use the funding to get my foot in the door here in McPherson and start my business. It is something I did back home and really think it would work here.”
  • Robert Schonberner, automotive restoration business, Omaha, Nebraska – app development – “My idea is to create an app for semi-truck drivers to use while on the road that shows everything needed to get from point A to point B.”
  • Junior Silva, graphic design/photography, Sterling, Kansas – photography – “I would like to develop my own small photography business focusing on senior photography for college and high school students.”
  • Tya Jackson, religion, politics, law, Wichita, Kansas – YouTube channel – “I want to make college advice/day in my life videos for my own YouTube channel and become an influencer.”
  • Cailey Cornett, digital media design, Lindsborg, Kansas – virtual assistant – “I would like to grow my business as a photographer and artist to create a digital media business. As a virtual assistant, I would be photographing, filming, and running social pages for business, artists, or small bands.”
  • Luis Rodriguez, Jr., business marketing, The Colony, Texas – music production – “I like to make music to express my feelings, and to make people feel something they did not know they were actually feeling.”
  • Parker Hull, communications, Wylie, Texas – apparel – “I own a clothing brand, Youth Empire Apparel. What makes it unique is our effort of providing donations and inspiration to youth. We donate 10 percent of all proceeds to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.”
  • Bethany Masters, biochemistry, Howe, Texas – develop Esty shop – “I started sewing in the spring of 2020 when we got sent home from school and it turned into a great stress-relieving activity. I would like to start an Etsy shop to offer afford