college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

McPherson College Announces Spring Horizon Fund Grant Recipients

For more than a decade, McPherson College has been encouraging the entrepreneurial ideas of its students by awarding mini-grants that help students develop innovative solutions to common problems. With more than 300 grants awarded, the college recently announced the latest recipients of the Horizon Fund Grants.

This spring, the Horizon Fund is providing grants to 15 students with ideas ranging from a car rental service to day care to fitness training. The individual grants range from $100 to $500 and students have the options to reapply for continued funding of existing Horizon Fund Grant projects.

Abbey Archer-Rierson, chief of staff and head of the entrepreneurship program at McPherson College, said, “The Horizon Fund Grant is just one of many ways McPherson College demonstrates its commitment to entrepreneurship and supports entrepreneurial students on our campus. The grants have supported a variety of wildly creative ideas and this most recent round of funding is no exception.”

Recipients of the spring 2022 Horizon Fund Grants are:

• Edwin Buiter, Automotive Restoration, Ireton, IA – 24 Hours of Lemons event – “I plan to race a car in the 24 Hours of Lemons open-wheel racing series. We will purchase, build, modify, race, and repair a car allowing students to develop many valuable skills that they may not otherwise have an opportunity to develop.”
  • Zoe Carmichael, Raleigh, NC – Manual transmission driving lessons for women – “I would like to start a workshop where I teach women how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. I would use my own Volkswagen Beetle, which is very easy to learn on.”
  • Isiah Collins, Biology, Las Vegas, NV – Reselling business – “I would like to make a platform where students can resell what they like. I have been focusing on reselling sneakers and would like to create an app where individuals could join groups and sell their items.”
  • Maritza Gonzalez, Elementary Education/Special Education, Eagle Pass, TX – Daycare for students with children – “I want to do something to help parents with kids that want to continue to go to college. I want to start a daycare for college students who have children and provide a way for education majors to gain experience.”
  • Lola B. Hipp, Graphic Design, Goodland, KS – Photography and design business – “I would like to start a photography and design name for myself. It would give a chance for students to have their cars or themselves photographed or a logo designed.”
  • Kadee B. Johnson, Business Management: Accounting/Finance, Groveton, TX – Photography business – “I want to begin a photography business. I believe in capturing moments that can forever be looked back on as a heartfelt memory for somebody.”
  • Carson Lambakis, Business Management, Yukon, OK – Mental Health-centered Clothing Brand – “Develop a clothing brand that gives people the opportunity to express, cope, and spread awareness through apparel.”
  • Connor McDonald, Automotive Restoration, Ashville, AL – Rental car service – “Normal repairs on vehicles are taking longer due to manufacturing and supply chain restrictions, and people are being left without transportation. I would like to make extra vehicles I own available to rent for temporary transportation.”
  • Matt Mahan, Automotive Restoration Management, Topeka, KS – Photography business – “I would like to expand my portfolio by taking more pictures of cars, people, buildings, and more around campus and town. Once I have a solid portfolio, I plan on integrating photography into my career.”
  • Christopher J. Miller, Automotive Restoration, West Milton, Ohio – Photography for auto restoration students – “I would like to help fellow students promote themselves and their work in a professional manner and quality photos showing what they are capable of can be very powerful.”
  • Luis Rodriguez, Jr., Business Marketing, The Colony, TX – Music business – “My goal is to make music that allows me to express myself and entertain listeners.”
  • Daniel Salina IV, Health Science, Mercedes, TX – Car detailing business – “I recently started a car detailing business. I would like to receive funding for tools, chemicals, and business cards needed for my business.”
  • Robert Schonberner, Omaha, NE, Automotive Restoration Business – Computer application development – “My idea is to create an app for semi-truck drivers to use while on the road that shows everything needed to get from point A to point B. It would be focused on the information that large trucks need to know to get somewhere fast.”
  • Owen Sutherland, Sociology, Los Angeles, CA – Fitness/training business – “I would like to become a professional track & field coach for levels from elementary up to professional athletes. I would like to get my USATF coaching certificate and personal training certificate to help mold people’s bodies and minds in a positive direction.”
  • Quashad Washington, Business Administration, Tucson, AZ – Fitness/training business – “I would like to provide athletes with the effective training they need to perform at the highest level, whether collegiately or professionally. I would coach speed and mechanics, which are the main things athletes need to be successful.”