Dr. Becki Bowman Ph.D.Professor of Communication
Ph.D., Communication, Kent State University, 2005
M.A., Communication, Wichita State University, 2000
B.A., Communication, McPherson College, 1998
Dr. Becki Bowman returned to teach at her alma mater in 2006. Dr. Bowman helped to build the current communication program and teaches classes with an emphasis in human communication including Introduction to Human Communication, Public Speaking, Business and Professional Communication, Interpersonal Communication, Intercultural Communication, Gender Communication, Conflict Communication, Persuasion, Public Relations, Media Ethics, and Research Methods in Communication. Dr. Bowman also serves as the faculty advisor for Lambda Pi Eta, the communication honor society.
One of the reasons Dr. Bowman returned to McPherson College was because of the college’s connection to the Church of the Brethren and its commitment to service. Dr. Bowman incorporates service learning into several of her classes and delights in helping students learn practical work world skills while improving their surrounding community through service.
Dr. Bowman joyfully serves as the faculty advisor for G.L.O.W.—the campus gay-straight alliance. She helps lead yearly Safe Zone trainings for the campus because she believes that a sensitive and inclusive community creates a safer learning environment for all students.
Dr. Bowman has presented research at the local, regional and national level on a variety of topics including teacher misbehaviors, conflicts in the classroom and workplace, teaching in a paperless classroom, and the impact of service learning on civic engagement. She also has led workshops on conflict resolution, persuasion techniques used in advertising, and gender communication for local and regional groups.
Some honors Bowman has received during her career include
- Engaged Faculty Fellow through the Kansas Campus Compact
- McPherson College’s Who’s Who Professor of the Year
- McPherson College’s Non-Tenured Faculty Teaching Award
- Kent State University’s James Mignerey Collegiality Award
- International Communication Association Teaching Excellence Award
- Phi Beta Delta, Beta Zeta Chapter, Honor Society for International Scholars
Dr. Bowman is partnered with Professor Jd. Bowman, associate professor of theatre at McPherson College. They enjoy travelling with their three young children.
Becki Bowman, Ph.D.
Office: Mohler 225
ADVISOR RESPONSIBILITIES – WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM ME
- Understand and communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and college policies and procedures.
- Encourage and guide you as you define and develop realistic academic and career goals.
- Encourage and support you as you gain the skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans.
- Provide you with information about and strategies for utilizing the services and resources on campus.
- Assist you in understanding the purposes/goals of higher education and its effects on your life and goals.
- Monitor and accurately document your progress toward meeting your educational goals.
- Be assessable for meetings with your via office hours and for advising via telephone or e-mail.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist you in working closely with your professors.
- Assist you in the registration process.
- Allow you to make choices about adding/dropping classes, even if it goes against advice I’ve offered in achieving your goals.
ADVISEE RESPONSIBILITIES – WHAT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO DO
- Read the catalog and understand what general education and major requirements you must meet.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures.
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with your advisor during each semester.
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions or material for discussion (this means you should have an idea about what courses you want to take when you show up for advising appointments)
- Gather all relevant decision-making information.
- Think about your major and career goals and what path you want to take to reach those goals.
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward meeting your goals.
- Organize official documents in a way that enables you to access them when needed.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor.
- Clarify personal values/goals and provide advisor with accurate information about interests and abilities.
- Accept responsibility for decisions you make.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Human Communication areas including Instructional Communication, Interpersonal Communication, Conflict Resolution, Persuasion, Gender Communication, and Public Speaking
EXPERIENCES AND HOBBIES
- Faculty advisor for G.L.O.W.
- Enjoy travel with my family
- Like watching films