Kyle Hopkins M.M.Associate Professor of Music; Director of Bands
B.A. University of Kansas
B.M.E. Washburn University
M.M. Kansas State University
Kyle Hopkins is an Associate Professor of Music and Director of Bands at McPherson College. In his short time at McPherson College, the band program has experienced unprecedented growth and success, including being selected to perform at the 2018 Kansas Music Educators Association State Convention for the first time in the history of McPherson College. Kyle holds degrees from the University of Kansas, Washburn University and Kansas State University. Prior to returning to college to obtain his first music education degree, he did graduate work at the University of Kansas and the Gornyi Institute (Leningrad, U.S.S.R.) in Russian language and culture. He also worked for seven years as a Disability Examiner for the State of Kansas specializing in childhood disabilities. Before accepting his position at McPherson College, he was Director of Bands in the McPherson public schools for 12 years and before that he taught in Topeka and Shawnee Mission. Kyle has been a board member of the South Central Kansas Music Educators Association and has served as the district’s Jazz Chair. He is the recipient of McPherson College’s 2015 Non-Tenured Faculty Teaching Award. And in 2011, he was voted USD 418’s “Teacher of the Year” by its faculty and staff.
In addition to being a sought-after clinician and adjudicator, Kyle has performed French horn with a wide range of groups such as Manheim Steamroller, Celtic Women, the Topeka Symphony, the Wichita Grand Opera and the Kansas City Philharmonia. Currently he performs regularly with the Salina Symphony as principal horn. He has performed and/or conducted in 38 states as well as in Austria, the Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Poland and Switzerland. Kyle and his wife Christi have two sons; Isaac, who is a graduate student in trumpet performance at the University of Michigan; and Ben, a junior at McPherson High School who is an All-State and All-National tuba player and also a State-Champion power lifter.
Associate Professor of Music-Director of Bands
Office: Hess 131
Office Extension: 2521
Direct Number: 620-242-0521
Cell Number: 620-755-3460
ADVISOR RESPONSIBILITIES – WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM ME
- Advise you about your academic program, your co-curricular activities, and your post-graduate plans
- Assist you in completion of a four-year plan and enrollment
- Have advising appointment sign-up sheet posted on my door
- Serve as an interpreter of college regulations and academic requirements
- Act as a referral service for academic or personal issues that may arise
- E-mail or phone calls if you are on academic probation
- Response within 24 – 48 hours if you e-mail, phone, or text me
- No response, unless life threatening, between 10 pm and 8 am
ADVISEE RESPONSIBILITIES – WHAT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO DO
- Schedule regular appointments with me during the semester (at least once each term)
- Come prepared for enrollment appointment by having completed your course selection online
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions or material for discussion
- Ask questions if you do not understand an advising issue or concern
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward meeting your goals
- Organize official documents that enables you to access them when needed
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures by being familiar with college catalog
- Accept responsibility for decisions
- Set an appointment with the Registrar both junior and senior year to determine progress toward graduation.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Music Education
EXPERIENCES AND HOBBIES
- I enjoy spending time with my wife, two sons and two dogs.
- I taught in Kansas public schools for 15 years before coming to MC.
- I have worked as a youth minister and worship leader.
- Prior to becoming a public school teacher, I was a Disability Examiner for the State of Kansas.
- I studied in what was then the Soviet Union (Russia) and have been to 7 other European countries.
- I have attended four Universities and have degrees from three of them.
- I am an active professional musician and play (French) horn in several area groups.