McPherson College is a private college accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The College’s teacher education program is certified by the Kansas State Department of Education and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education. The College holds numerous memberships with other professional agencies and organizations. Contact the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment to obtain copies of accreditation documents describing the College’s accreditation, approval, or licensing.
The next Higher Learning Commission (HLC) accreditation on-site review is set for February 25-26, 2019. The college is on HLC’s Standard Pathway which is a 10-year cycle. There are two components within the Standard Pathway, quality assurance and institutional improvement.
Years 1-3: The college prepares an Assurance filing including supporting evidence.
Year 4: The Assurance Argument, which is similar to the previously required Self-Study, is submitted to HLC peer reviewers. Also in Year 4, a short on-site comprehensive visit is conducting by HLC peer reviewers.
Years 5-9: The college prepares an Assurance filing including supporting evidence.
Year 10: A comprehensive evaluation in which the HLC takes action on the comprehensive evaluation and Reaffirmation of Accreditation.
For questions related to McPherson College’s accreditation status please contact Associate Dean of Institutional Research and Assessment, Dr. Cari Lott, at (620)-242-0430 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Visiting Team Members
Dr. Shane Mountjoy, Chair Dr. Patricia Williams
Provost Dean, Graduate and Adult Programs
York College Grand View University
York, Nebraska Des Moines, Iowa
Dr. Scott H. Moats Dr. Richard Grant Bush
Provost Dean, College of Information Technology
Crown College Baker College
Saint Bonifacius, Minnesota Allen Park, Michigan
McPherson College is seeking comments from the public about the college in preparation for its periodic evaluation by its regional accrediting agency. The college will host a visit on February 25-26, 2019, from a team of peer reviewers representing the Higher Learning Commission. The team will review the institution’s ongoing ability to meet HLC’s Criteria for Accreditation. McPherson College has been accredited by HLC since 1940.
Comments must be in writing and must address substantive matters related to the quality of the institution or its academic programs.
Submit comments to HLC at hlcommission.org/comment or mail them to the address below. All comments must be received by January 24, 2019.
Public comment on McPherson College
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1411
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC) website
- Criteria for Accreditation
- Federal Compliance
- Assumed Practices
- Assuring and advancing the quality of higher education.
- Required to be eligible for federal student financial aid.
- Required to provide educational programs to military students.
- The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, or the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
- McPherson College has been accredited since 1921
- McPherson College last received its 10-year continuance of accreditation in 2015
- McPherson College’s teacher education program is also accredited by The Kansas State Department of Education and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education
- For institutional accreditation contact: The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411, telephone: 800.621.7440, web address: www.ncahlc.org);
- For teacher education accreditation contact: The Kansas State Department of Education (120 East 10th Street, Topeka, Kansas 66612, telephone: 785.296.3201, web address www.ksde.org); or the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education at (1140 19th St. NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, telephone: 202.223.0077, web address www.ncate.org).
- HLC peer reviewers will conduct a 4 Year comprehensive on-site visit February 25-26, 2019.
- The Year 4 review will not lead to an action regarding the reaffirmation of the college. Only the year 10 comprehensive review will lead to an action regarding the reaffirmation of the college.
- Several peer review team members will conduct interviews with the college’s community, which may include the President, administrative and Board of Trustee members, faculty, staff, current students, and alumni.
- Team members will seek to validate McPherson College’s Assurance Review which includes an Assurance Argument and Evidence Filing which address the HLC’s five criteria for accreditation.
- HLC’s peer review team will examine the college’s Assurance Argument, evidence file, and student opinion survey responses to determine if the college is meeting the standards for reaccreditation.
- HLC peer review team members often host open meetings for faculty, staff, and students during each visit.