McPherson College is seeking a Head Cross Country and Distance Coach for Track to support its men’s and women’s Cross Country/Track program. This is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position and reports to the Athletic Director.
McPherson College, in McPherson, KS, is a four-year church-related, career-oriented liberal arts institution with membership in the NAIA and the KCAC. The College’s mission is to develop whole persons through scholarship, participation and service.
Duties include, but may not be limited to:
- To coordinate and direct recruiting for the program in cooperation with the Admissions Department. To focus a recruiting strategy to attract quality athletes with capability and inclination to pursue and complete a baccalaureate program at McPherson College.
- To demonstrate sincere interest in and provide leadership for progress in personal and academic development, as well as in athletic development, of each student-athlete. To encourage and monitor the academic development of student-athletes in the Cross Country/Distance program toward graduation, and in cooperation with the Athletic Director, to prepare and follow a recruiting and retention plan.
- To organize and direct varsity practices, and to direct the team in intercollegiate competition in a way that fosters student learning and growth, maximizes team performance, and reflects on the best interests of the program and of McPherson College, and to enforce discipline and sportsmanship.
- To conduct pre-season, in-season, and post-season meetings for squad information, and to prepare off-season workout for the team.
- And any other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
The successful candidate must possess and will demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills, good work ethic and self-motivation, the ability and willingness to be a positive role model, department member and representative of the College.
Attendance: Basic work hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Additional evening and/or weekend hours are needed for practices and games. It is expected that an average of 40-45 hours per week will be needed.
Bachelor’s Degree required; one to two years of collegiate coaching experience preferred.
Please complete the on-line application below and include your cover letter, resume and one professional reference letter.