Do you enjoy conducting your own research? Are you hoping to prepare for a career in medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, podiatry or veterinary medicine? The McPherson College department of Natural Sciences may be a fit for you.
The 33rd Annual Science Research Forum
The following are the projects for our 2016 seniors to be presented in Melhorn Science Hall on April 15, 2016.
- Kylan Bennett: Crotalus atrox Venom Tolerance through Parental Envenomation in Mus musculus
- Andrea Falk: Cathepsin K Knockout Mice do not Exhibit Mechanical Hypersensitivity after Injection of an Inflammatory Insult
- Levi Fleming: The Effects of Elevated Levels of Calcium and Turbidity on Freshwater Mussel Growth
- Tiffany Fraser: Osmotic Stress Survival and Thermal Tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Alia Khalidi: The effect of light environment on the development of eye pigments in Drosophila melanogaster
- Ashley Long: The Effect of Protective Agents on the Demineralization of Human Tooth Enamel
- Geoff Pugh: Analysis of the Fungicidal Nature of ZnS on Sordaria fimicola
- Sophie Simon: Effects of Female Mating Status on the Expression and Success of Male Mating Tactic in the Wolf Spider Rabidosa punctulata
- Collin Wright: Isolation and Characterization of Antimicrobial Microorganisms in McPherson County Soil
- Whitney Zimmerman: Cell Toxicity Studies to Understand Neurodegenerative Parkinson’s Disease
- Kayley Kinnamon: Phenolic content and antioxidant activity in Kansas-grown Vitis vinifera and associated wines
- Sabrina Washington: The Amount of Total Dissolved Solids in Coffee Made by 6 Different Brewing Methods
Senior research is the capstone experience for all of our science-related majors and published in the ‘Cantaurus’ – the scientific journal of McPherson College.
Melhorn Science Hall
Our science hall contains digitally equipped classrooms and laboratories and is designed to enhance our student research program and to encourage interdisciplinary interaction.
Beta Beta Beta
Tri Beta is group of biology students and professors and who get together throughout the year to learn more about the biological sciences outside of the classroom and have fun!