college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

McPherson College Student Receives KICF Scholarship

McPHERSON, KAN. – Shyanne Henkis was recognized by the Kansas Independent College Foundation (KICF) for excellence in academics, character, and integrity, alongwith her commitment to the value of a private college education in Kansas. She was among 20 students from private colleges across the state to receive the Maud Wyatt Recognition Scholarship presented by KICF.

Henkis, who is from Lavean, Arizona, is a senior at McPherson College majoring in sociology. She plans to enlist in the U.S. Air Force after graduating to become a security forces officer while working on a master’s degree in social work and criminal justice. Her ultimate goal is to obtain a Ph.D. in social work. During her time at McPherson College, she completed an internship with the Hutchinson Police Department. Recipients of the scholarship are full-time, degree-seeking students on the cusp of graduation who maintain GPAs of 3.5 or above and contribute to their communities.

Along with her studies, Henkis serves as president of the Student Government Association, is a residence assistant, and participates on the track and field team. Service to her community is important to Henkis. She founded the campus’s Caring Closet, the result of her initiative that allows students to anonymously ask for help and hygiene products and a clothing drive that she leads each year.

“McPherson College is the perfect place for me,” Henkis said. “I am able to get the one-on-one teaching I need and have professors who genuinely care about me. One of the college’s pillars is service, and I am a firm believer in giving back. I think I have made a positive impact during my time here and plan to continue to follow that idea of service.”

ABOUT McPHERSON COLLEGE

McPherson College is committed to its mission “To develop whole persons through scholarship, participation, and service,” in a career-focused liberal arts environment. It’s been recognized nationally by US News & World Report, Money Magazine, and the Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For.” Its Automotive Restoration program is the first four-year degree program of its kind and awarded the prestigious industry supporter of the year by International Historic Motoring. Learn about all of its programs at www.mcpherson.edu.