Chartered in 1887 by leaders of the Church of the Brethren, McPherson College has a distinguished history of providing excellent liberal arts and career-oriented education shaped by the essential values of its founding denomination. The College welcomes students of all cultural, economic and religious backgrounds.
The present campus, with its 16 major buildings and 27-acre setting, has matured into an institution of which its founders would be proud. To celebrate its 100th anniversary in 1987-88, McPherson College architecturally redesigned its entire campus, a factor that has improved the quality of living and learning at McPherson College. In the spring of 2000 state-of-the-art theatre and fine arts facilities were added to the instructional facilities, and Melhorn Science Hall opened its doors for fall 2001 classes.
- The beautiful 27-acre campus is set in McPherson, a town of 13,000 that is one of the top 100 small towns in the U.S., with a strong diversified economic base, located in central Kansas 50 miles north of Wichita.
- The college’s alumni span five continents and over 40 countries of the world today, resulting in a widespread dispersion of the McPherson College experience. These alumni include outstanding graduate who have served and are serving their communities, the church, and the world.
- McPherson College has been led by 14 presidents in its 130 years.
- The entrepreneurship initiative at McPherson College began in 2010 when President Michael Schneider met with a foundation executive and described the ideal McPherson College graduate to him. “That sounds like an entrepreneur to me,” the executive replied, and Schneider realized that entrepreneurship was a concept that went far beyond the business department – that entrepreneurship is liberal arts.
- The college offers over 30 major and pre-professional programs. We offer either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts. A full load is considered 12-16 hours.
- Study abroad is offered through interterm service-learning trips, or a semester or year-long immersion experience through BCA, our students have a world of opportunities.
- The college has a primarily residential student body of over 720 with 33% minority.
- Full-time students are required to live on campus and participate in the college meal plan. Exceptions are those students who have dependents who live with them, are married or who are 23 years of age or older on the official fall enrollment date of the academic year.
- There is a 13:1 student to faculty ratio with approximately 47 full-time faculty.
- Job placement is offered through the Career Services office. We emphasize career-oriented education. Internships can be incorporated into every program. There are also services to help students find work-study jobs on and off-campus as well as post-graduate employment opportunities.
- 100% of students receive some type of financial assistance. McPherson College participates in all of the Federal and State financial aid programs in addition to the institutional programs offered.
- Athletic scholarships are available in every sport and are offered at the coaches’ discretion. Coaches submit recommendations for award to the financial aid office. Students are encouraged to complete the Athletic Recruitment Form.
- McPherson competes in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Division II and Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC). Athletic programs include Football, Volleyball, Baseball, Softball, Basketball (men & women), Track/X-country (men & women), Soccer (men & women) and Tennis (men & women).
- See US Campus Security Statistics site.
- Student Right to Know information is available through the college catalog and on this page.
- For other stats about McPherson College click here: www.nces.ed.gov/IPEDS.
- McPherson College is a private, not-for-profit college under tax category 501(c)3.