college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

The Federal Work Study program provides part time employment to needy students allowing them to earn money to help pay for college.   Most work study positions at McPherson College are on campus.   Students are paid on a monthly pay cycle and may be used for college or personal expenses.   Students that desire to have all or a portion of their earnings accessed directly to their account, must provide written authorization.   The starting pay rate is at federal minimum wage; however, there is opportunity for incremental pay increases.

Forms and Procedures to Apply
To apply for the Federal Work Study, students must:

  • Apply to and be accepted to McPherson College
  • Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and receive a result known as the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).   The FAFSA is available at .   Students should make sure to include McPherson College’s FAFSA code 001933.
  • Apply for a particular job through Career Services
  • Submit a K-4 Kansas Withholding Allowance Certificate
  • Submit a W-4 Federal Withholding Allowance Certificate
  • Submit a I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form
  • Submit a McPherson College Student Employee Agreement

Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for Federal Work Study at McPherson College, students must:

  • Meet the general eligibility requirements as stated within the “Eligibility for Federal Student Financial Aid” section of the Consumer Information Page
  • Submit all forms for application

Criteria for recipient selection
To be considered for a Federal Work Study students must demonstrate financial need.

Criteria for award amount
The actual amount of Federal Work Study that a student may receive is determined by:

  • Amount of need
  • Number of hours worked
  • Pay Rate

General Terms and Conditions Applicable to Employment
Students that receive Federal Work Study funds agree to the following terms and conditions:

  • Students are not assigned work study positions but must be hired on to a position through the work study supervisor
  • Students may be awarded work study funds, but will only be paid for the hours that are actually worked.   Students are not compensated a difference between actual earnings and what the student was eligible to earn.
  • Students must show proof of identity and employment authorization. Documents that may be helpful for this include, but are not limited to: an unexpired Passport, unexpired Driver’s license, Social Security Card without employment restrictions, and Certified Birth Certificate
  • Students may start at the federal minimum wage but may be offered incremental pay rate increases
  • Students are paid monthly on a predetermined schedule in the form of a check or an authorized payment to the student account
  • Students may not work full time
  • Students may work at any time except during scheduled class times
  • Students that do not complete the duties of their position as agreed or violate school policy may be subject to disciplinary action including but not limited to dismissal from the work study position

Criteria for continued eligibility
To continue receiving Federal Work Study, students must:

  • Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements as explained in the college catalog each semester
  • Submit a new FAFSA each year and continue to show financial need