The Kansas Ethnic Minority Scholarship program is designed to assist financially needy, academically competitive students who are identified as members of any of the following ethnic/racial groups: African American; American Indian or Alaskan Native; Asian or Pacific Islander; or Hispanic. The Kansas Ethnic Minority Grant does not need to be repaid. Recipients in 2015-16 received $1,850 for the year.
Forms and Procedures to Apply
To apply for the Kansas Ethnic Minority Grant, students must:
- Apply to and be accepted to McPherson College
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and receive a result known as the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The FAFSA is available at fafsa.ed.gov . Students should make sure to include McPherson College’s FAFSA code 001933.
- Submit a State of Kansas Student Aid Application. This application is available in several formats and is available at: http://www.kansasregents.org/students/student_financial_aid/scholarships_and_grants
To be eligible for the Kansas Ethnic Minority Grant at McPherson College, students must:
- Meet the general eligibility requirements as stated within the “Eligibility for Federal Student Financial Aid” section of the Consumer Information Page
- Submit all forms for application by May 1st of each year
- Be a Kansas resident
- Be a member of the following ethnic/racial groups
- African American
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Asian or Pacific Island
- Meet one of the following academic criteria
- 21 ACT or 990 SAT
- 0 High School GPA
- Ranked top 33% of graduating class
- Completion of Kansas Scholars Curriculum
- Selection by National Merit Corporation in any category
- Selection by College Board as a Hispanic Scholar
Criteria for recipient selection
The Kansas Board of Regents determines the recipients of the Kansas Ethnic Minority Grant.
Criteria for award amount
Recipients receive $1850 per year.
Criteria for continued eligibility
To continue receiving the Kansas Ethnic Minority Grant, students must:
- Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements as explained in the college catalog each semester
- Submit a new FAFSA and State application each year
- Remain a Kansas resident
- Maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA