Express your creativity.
Our major in art & design offers emphases in graphic design, graphic design marketing, graphic design photography and studio, as well as an art teaching licensure and minors in studio arts or graphic design to fit your specialized interests.
Whether you want to make art with a computer, a camera or your own hands, McPherson’s art & design program will allow you to hone your skills and find a career that takes those passions to the next level.
Graphic Design Marketing
Graphic Design Photography
Featured Art & Design Student Story
“The availability of resources that we have is great. I like being able to go into the studio and paint or go use the computer lab whenever I want.”Abigail Briscoe '22, Studio Art/Politics & History
It’s easy for Abigail to find ways to express her creativity and improve her artistic skills especially with all the resources available to her in the art department. From studio space to computers everything she needs is at her disposal whenever she needs it.
Digital Media Major
With an emphasis in Communication or Visual Design this major will be prepare you for a career in the growing digital media industry.
Teaching Art in the Public Schools (PK-12)
Minors are available in both Graphic Design and Studio Art.
Explore Art & Design
Explore the space.Hess Fine Arts Center, Virtual Tour
Take a 360° virtual tour of the studios and labs in Hess - home to the Art & Design program at McPherson College.
Student Work2020 Senior Art Show, Virtual Exhibit
The 2020 graduating seniors in Art & Design showcase their work in a virtual gallery. Hear from the artists and view their studio art, photography and graphic design projects.
Meet the FacultyArt & Design Professors, Zoom Discussion
Hear from the faculty of the Art & Design department as they discuss the majors, curriculum and opportunities available to students.
Experiences & Outcomes
Etch is a student-run, non-profit marketing and graphic design firm created by MC students. Etch offers professional graphic design and marketing services to non-profit organizations, asking only that they consider a donation to help cover costs.
Every year AIGA provides an opportunity for students to enter in a portfolio competition where both local and national professionals in art and design come to give advice, guide workshops, and network with students. McPherson College has built a legacy of winning in the local Wichita chapter, winning awards the last 5 years and best overall portfolio in 2016, 2017, and 2018 .
Faculty & Staff
- Professor of Graphic Design
- Department Chair & Executive Director of Art & Design
- “In my teaching, it is my goal to develop students’ interest in design and broaden their artistic skills. I am preparing them for the workforce – therefore, every project and skill that we focus on is centered around preparing them for what they will need to acquire industry-leading careers."
- Assistant Professor of Photography, Art, and Design
- Associate Professor of Art
- “Born and raised in Austria/Europe, my teaching philosophy is grounded in my classical training in art, art history, and in the theory that all living creatures are interconnected. I am an artist who teaches – mainly ceramics and painting. I strive to provide a safe, nurturing, and stimulating atmosphere in my studios that allows students to find their uniqueness and the courage to express themselves visually.”
- Assistant Professor of Digital Media
- “As a student, one of the first things I was taught was simply “to see.” Knowledge and inspiration are all around us and sometimes all we need is to take a second and just look. As an educator, I must allow the freedom for spontaneous discovery (it is creative after all) by not simply supplying all the answers but opening avenues for experimentation and research.”