college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

CHS Refinery Honors McPherson College Student Leaders

When CHS McPherson Refinery called with the news she’s receiving this year’s Leadership Award, Miranda Clark-Ulrich’s reaction was a natural one.

“I was very excited,” she said. “I might have yelled a little.”

CHS awards a $1,500 scholarship annually at McPherson College two senior students who have demonstrated outstanding leadership. This year’s recipients are Clark-Ulrich of Russell, Kan., and Kevin Ndongo of Mobile, Ala.

The award recognizes MC students who are contributing to the campus and McPherson as a whole through their leadership roles, studies, jobs and volunteerism.

Mark Cantrell, human resources manager at CHS, said it was important to their business to provide financial backing and recognition to these young local leaders.

“The CHS Refinery at McPherson is proud to continue its support for students at McPherson College that show outstanding potential to become tomorrow’s leaders,” Cantrell said. “We congratulate the recipients of this year’s awards and wish them success.”

Ndongo has served in a number of leadership roles at MC. These roles include: a McPherson College ambassador to visiting students, a resident assistant in Metzler Hall, vice president of the Student Athletic Advisory Committee, and captain of the MC men’s soccer team.

He ultimately wants to become a professional soccer player or a business owner; he’s open to the possibilities.

“I tell people I’m a free bird,” he said. “When the opportunity comes, I’m going to take it.”

Clark-Ulrich has served as the photo editor and editor-in-chief at the “Spectator” student newspaper, has won multiple awards from Kansas Collegiate Media for newspaper photography, received multiple entrepreneurship grants under the college Horizon Fund, and was a member of the McPherson College KCAC Championship Track and Field team in 2014.

She has been accepted to the University of Kansas School of Law – the number one law school in Kansas in nine categories – for fall 2016. Ultimately, Clark-Ulrich plans to return to her hometown of Russell to work as an attorney. She said the CHS Leadership Award has provided her with valuable connections already.

“I’d like to give a big ‘Thank you’ to CHS for giving me this opportunity,” she said.

Ndongo said that while he was surprised to receive the award, he felt that it was a validation of his hard work throughout his college career.

“It makes me feel that no matter what you do, somebody’s watching it,” he said. “You will be rewarded somehow. God is great.”