college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

AR Alumni Newsletter – Feb 2018

An Evening With AR

CJ-18AZ-Covers-7161Each year in May, AR brings industry leaders to campus for An Evening with Auto Restoration. This year’s event on May 4 will feature Barrett-Jackson Chairman and CEO Craig Jackson. Bringing speakers to campus is one way AR introduces industry leaders to the unique program and students at McPherson College. It’s also an opportunity for our alumni to make industry connections and hear from a wide variety of presenters. Watch the McPherson College Auto Restoration Facebook page for more details about this event as they become available.

Born and raised into the automotive world, Jackson’s passion and devotion to the automobile market was instilled in him by his older brother Brian and father Russ – who, with Tom Barrett, founded the company in 1971. Taking over the reins in 1995 after the untimely death of his brother, Jackson has grown the company’s events and brand into one of the most recognized names in the collector car industry. Jackson has also been inspired by his mother’s commitment to philanthropy and uses the Barrett-Jackson auction block as a platform to raise much-needed awareness and funds for charitable organizations.  Watch for more details about An Evening with AR click HERE.

C.A.R.S. Club Car & Motorcycle Show

_EMK1536It’s just around the corner – the 19th Annual C.A.R.S. Club Car & Motorcycle Show. C.A.R.S. Club members have been busy making plans for this year’s big show and online registrations are open. The yearly show keeps getting bigger and bigger attracting a wide variety of vehicles from across the country. All of the familiar activities are included this year like the Swap Meet in April, the Cruise-In Friday night, and the Model A Build Team demonstration the day of the show. However, what makes this year’s event unique is that it will be featured in a future episode of My Classic Car and the show’s host, Dennis Gage, will be on site all day Saturday. Make plans to enter your vehicle or attend.

2018 Events

SWAP MEET
Saturday, April 21, 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
McPherson College Campus
Register Online – deadline April 7

CRUISE-IN
Friday, May 4, 6 p.m.
Main Street, McPherson, Kansas
No registration necessary

19th ANNUAL CAR & MOTORCYCLE SHOW
(Special Appearance by Dennis Gage from My Classic Car)
Saturday, May 5, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
McPherson College Campus
Register Online – pre-registration discount deadline: April 15 | judged vehicle registration deadline: April 30

Summer Institute

Engines (18) 2Do you know a young person with an interest in auto restoration? The AR Summer Institute is a great way for a prospective students and others to engage with the AR program, faculty, and experience life as a McPherson College student. Spots are still available for courses offered in June. A complete schedule, course description and registration can be found online.

Session dates for this years Summer Institute are June 4-8, June 11-15, and June 18-22. For more information about class schedule, course descriptions, dorm room and meal plan information and cancellation policy click HERE.

Shed Finds

[youtube id=”http://www.youtube.com/I5-2hPDGoe0 ” width=”600″ height=”350″ autoplay=”no” api_params=”” class=””]

The next video project for Shed Finds features Arkansas senior, Sam L. Harris IV. Harris’ love of automobiles was solidified when he purchased his 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser. He is currently working on a custom 1969 Ford F-100 quad cab long bed with a Powerstroke diesel engine. He is part of the Model T build team and is known around campus for his vast collection of stickers on his Land Cruiser. Check out the trailer for his video and watch for the full-length feature coming out on February 26 on YouTube at McPherson College Shed Finds. (Editor’s Note: Shed Finds is a student-driven video series that features the unique projects at the Sheds.)

Alumni Update…

Alumni Pic.NAME: Aaron Milam
GRADUATION: 2011
RESIDENCE: Austin, Texas area
WORK: In 2014, I opened an automotive restoration shop in the Austin area called Aaron’s Paint and Upholstery. It started by working on side projects after my full time job at another restoration shop. Word of mouth got around quick and I realized I had enough work to go out on my own. We do everything required for frame off restorations except machine work. The majority of our work consists of body and paint on older vehicles. However, we usually have one or two frame off restorations that include mechanical as well.
LATEST PROJECT: Currently in the shop we have a 1957 BelAir, 1970 Mustang, 1968 Chevelle, 1966 Mustang, 1958 GMC truck, 1948 Chevy truck, and paint work for a 1950’s Vincent Black Shadow motorcycle.
Just for fun…
THE VEHICLE I’LL NEVER FORGET: One of the first overall paint jobs I did at my own shop was on a 1970 Chevelle. I thought it was really cool that the owner gave me the opportunity to paint his car. When I was trying to get my own business started, it was hard to advertise and I was in need of people willing to give me a chance. Once you get a few quality jobs finished, word of mouth takes over.
THE NEXT CAR: A 1958 Chevy Impala.