college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

McPherson College Announces Fall Horizon Fund Grant Recipients

For more than a decade, McPherson College has been encouraging the entrepreneurial ideas of its students by awarding mini-grants that help students develop innovative solutions to common problems. With more than 300 grants awarded, the college recently announced the latest recipients of the Horizon Fund Grants.

This fall, the Horizon Fund is providing grants to seven students with ideas ranging from organic skincare products to a website outlining the family tree of the automobile. The individual grants range from $100 to $500, and students can reapply for continued funding of existing Horizon fund Grant projects.

Abbey Archer-Rierson, chief of staff and head of the entrepreneurship program at McPherson College, said, “The Horizon Fund Grant is just one of many ways McPherson College demonstrates its commitment to entrepreneurship and supports entrepreneurial students on our campus. The grants have supported a variety of wildly creative ideas, and this most recent round of funding is no exception.”

Recipients of the fall 2022 Horizon Fund Grants are:

• Hunter Jones, sports studies, Halletsville, Texas – photography/streaming business – “I love photographing nature and sports. I am a streamer on Twitch and oversee social media for the disc golf club. I’d like to start my own photography page and business.”
  • Owen Sutherland, sociology, Los Angeles – certified track and field coach and personal trainer – “I want to gain as much knowledge as possible so I can give athletes and people I work with the best experience in learning about themselves.”
  • Alexandria Goodloe, studio arts, Kansas City, Kan. – organic skincare for people of color – “I want to meet the need of having skincare products that are made for people of color. My products would be more organic and not use harsh chemicals that are found in other products.”
  • Brandi Satterfield, health science, Bellevue, Neb. – relaxation room – “I’d like to create a space to quiet the mind and enhance inner guidance. I’d offer relaxing massage, guided meditation, breathing exercises, Tai Chi, meal planning, or just provide a quiet environment for reflection.”
  • Matt Mahan, auto restoration management, Topeka, Kan. – photography equipment – “I currently photograph cars of McPherson College students and plan on becoming a professional photographer after graduation. I want to continue providing professional-quality photoshoots to my peers for free.”
  • Immanuel Newsome, business, Oklahoma City, Okla. – produce audiobooks – “Due to the pandemic, people have been looking for ways to better themselves while being in the comfort of their homes. My audiobooks would help those looking to improve themselves without having to read a book.”
  • Khanhvy Ta, graphic design marketing, Wichita, Kan. – photography/videography business – “I want to start a business with reasonable prices that target athletes who want to feel the energy of their talents.”